J is for…JUST

JUST wasn’t my first choice of topic when I was assigned the letter J, but I figured I’d try to keep it just about writing. Sometimes we write just as we speak and I just tend to use the word JUST just a bit more than I should. It’s just so easy to do, but really you just don’t need JUST. In fact, if you remove JUST from your sentence, ninety-five percent of the time, you’re meaning shines through just fine. But if you just absolutely need it, try alternating other words in its place. Words like merely, simply, only, approximately, recently, really, etc. You’ll just be amazed at the difference.

And just because I can’t have the letter J and not talk about him…

He’s the first thing that popped into my head when I saw I had the letter J. I could spend just about all night talking about just Jon Snow. He’s just the sweetest and sexiest warrior on GoT.  Woohoo, just one more day! Hope you’re just as excited as I am to see him tomorrow night!

7 thoughts on “J is for…JUST

1. leelalou says:

I am a big fan of the word just…I know I have to stop it. I usually write the way I want to write and then go back and take out most of the justs. Great post.

This guy is hot but I don’t know what he’s on. I rarely watch TV but I love Chicago Fire and Little Women of NY. I’d like to see this man whatever night he’s on. What’s he on?

Happy Saturday 🙂

2. Darah Lace says:

Oh sorry. GoT is Game of Thrones, an HBO series. Awesome!

And yeah, that’s the best way to write. JUST puke it out and clean it up later. 😉

3. Nona Raines says:

Haha, Darah, just is one of those words so easy to insert–I know I have too many of them in my first drafts. I must admit (shamefully hanging head) I have not gotten into GoT. I don’t have HBO and I’ve heard from others who watch that a lot of well loved characters get killed off. I hate that! 🙁

1. darahlace says:

Oh, I know what you mean, Nona. My cps are always getting on me for using too many justs. And thats.

Yes, GoT does kill off my fav characters but I have so many favorites that I’m consoled. Sean Bean was the entire reason I wanted to watch the show and he died in the first season. But I learned to love others. 🙂

4. Lara Archer says:

Oh, my goodness!!! Any picture of Jon Snow is enough to draw me in!!! I JUST can’t stop staring at him.

1. darahlace says:

LOL I know, right!

5. Lol, excellent point. I use it far too much as well;).