B is for…Books, Of Course!

No way could I pass that up? I love books the way many women love jewels…or shoes. Give me books instead, any day! 🙂

I’m Nice Girl Ella Sheridan, by the way, here to share with you my very first A to Z blog post ever…

NGWNAprilAtoZedited

I’m in the middle of a final push to complete my latest book, and when I’m in that head space, the one that focuses on my own writing, I can’t really take the time to savor new books. But I’m too addicted to stop reading altogether! So I usually take these times to reread some of my “oldie but goodie” favorites. Those books on my keeper shelf that I have to have in paperback because I want to reread them over and over. I even have a few books from my early days of romance reading, titles that I picked up in my late teens and still reread to this day, some —- years later. (Did you catch that? Yeah, no way am I spilling my age!)

lover_mineSo what am I reading right now (or rather, rereading)? My current work-in-progress is a romantic suspense story. I typically avoid reading in the same genre as what I’m writing, so right now I’m rereading JR Ward‘s paranormal Black Dagger Brotherhood series. There are twelve books in the series (at least, that are on my shelves), and that gives me plenty of fodder for those nights when my brain needs a break and I want to lose myself in a good story. I’m working my way through book #8 right now, Lover Mine. If you aren’t familiar with this series, I highly recommend checking them out. These vampires will knock your socks off!

So what about you? Do you reread books, or are you a strictly one-and-done reader? What circumstances drive you to read old favorites — nostalgia, forgetting the plot, missing the characters? Share your experiences, and even your favorite “rereadable” books!

~ Ella

Don’t forget: One lucky commenter from this month’s A to Z Blog Event will win one of Noony’s handmade bags! And if you like discussing books, check out our Nice & Naughty Reading Club page for info on our monthly book discussion. Thanks for stopping by!

12 thoughts on “B is for…Books, Of Course!

1. leelalou says:

I love to re read books…I have a good number that I know just the sweet (or…umm…sexy) scene the I’m in the mood for. I love Sarah’s Child by Linda Howard, Just the way you are by Barbara Freethy…I could go on and on but like I said I have a whole shelf of keepers. I’m not even going to start in on my Kindle … 🙂 Happy April 2nd 🙂

2. Patty Smith says:

I absolutely re-read, for several different reasons. Sometimes just because I was thinking about a favorite and decide to re-read it, or even just to re–read the best sections. I also re-read series if there’s a significant wait between books in the series, or just to enjoy an awesome series again. I’ve read Lexi Blake’s Masters and Mercenaries series 3 times, so far.

1. Ella Sheridan says:

That’s what happened with this series, Patty. I have a book at the end that I haven’t read, but I couldn’t remember details of the others. And that started a snowball effect! And I love rereading Lexi Blake as well! 🙂

3. A. Catherine Noon says:

I adore re-reading books. I have a number of them on my shelves, but when I need to get lost in a story, I like Steven Brust, Patricia McKillip, Lois McMaster Bujold, and Mercedes Lackey. I have others too, but if i started listing them all, we’d be here all day. 🙂

4. Julia says:

I love books, but I am not very good about finishing the novel I wrote out two years ago. I had this idea being a novelist would be exciting, but then I read my own creation, and I just cannot get enthused to revisit it. I admire people who can continue writing and publishing. Good luck with your latest novel.

1. Ella Sheridan says:

Thank you, Julia. Sometimes it’s hard to know if we are meant to write more than one book. Let your heart lead you to the path you need to take, wherever it may lead. 🙂

5. Nona Raines says:

Hi Ella, I love to re-read books. I have a large set of Mary Balogh’s early regencies and every so often enjoy re-reading some of my faves. Such a fun post–thank you! 🙂

6. Stephen Tremp says:

I re-read harry Potter as soon as I read through the first series. But that’s about it. Oh, I do re-read my books. But that’s because I’m re-editing over and over.

1. Ella Sheridan says:

I reread until my book goes to formatting, Stephen. Then I try not to read them again — I’m too afraid I’ll find mistakes!

7. Dani Wade says:

I’m definitely a re-reader! Like Ella, if I read new-to-me books while drafting, they tend to influence my own work. So I re-read during that time. Linda Howard, Lexi Blake, Cherise Sinclair, JR Ward… I have some pretty hefty keeper shelves. 🙂 Cool to know I’m among other re-readers!

8. Ella Sheridan says:

I know, the latest book came out this week, Jess! Must not buy yet, must not buy yet… Maybe that can be my reward for finishing this work-in-progress?

9. Lara Archer says:

I read constantly….can’t get through the day without it. And I read a crazy wide spectrum of genres–romance, of course, but also everything from medieval poetry to graphic novels. I love widening my world.